Thursday, November 09, 2006

Iris

"I couldn't fix him. I did everything right... and I couldn't fix him. That's not supposed to happen. And I..."
"You cried."
"Yeah."
"Why do people cry?"
"What do you mean?"
"I mean, what happens physically?"
"Tear ducts operate on a normal basis to lubricate and protect the eye. When you have an emotion, they overact and create tears."
"Why? Why do they overact?"
"I don't know."
"Maybe emotion becomes so intense...your body just can't contain it. Your mind and your feelings become too powerful. Your body weeps."

----------xxxxxxxxxx----------

"What are you doing here?"
"I was on my way up to x-ray...and I thought I'd stop in and just...hide."
"From what?"
"My patient's wife. She wants me to tell her that her husband is going to be okay... and that I have every confidence...and I don't. After all this time, and after all this work... I suddenly have this feeling that...none of this is in my hands. Nothing. And if it isn't...what do I do with that?"

----------xxxxxxxxxx----------

"Excuse me. Are you a visitor?"
"Yes."
"Visiting hours have been over since 10."
"Why do they have that?"
"What?"
"Hours. Doesn't it help the patient to be visited?"
"Who are you visiting, Mr. Messanger?"
"Right now? You."
"I don't need a visitor."
"You're not ill?"
"No. I'm one of the doctors here."
"Are you in despair?"
"I lost a patient."
"You did everything you could?"
"I was holding his heart in my hand when he died."
"Then he wasn't alone."
"Yes, he was."
"People die."
"Not on my table."
"People die when their bodies give out."
"It's my job to keep their bodies from giving out. Or what am I doing here?"
"It wasn't your fault."
"I wanted him to live."
"He is living. Just not the way you think."
"I don't believe in that."
"Some things are true whether you believe in them or not."

I dont want the world to see me,
Cause I dont think that they'd understand,
When everything's meant to be broken,
I just want you to know who I am.

No comments: